Review: Laphroaig Cairdeas Origin Edition 2012

In 2011 Laphoaig made the bold step to release its Cairdeas limited release whisky to the public. Previously held back as a private bottling for the Friends of Laphroaig, Cairdeas (“car-chass”) is an annual release that differs each year. Last year we were fortunate enough to try a very young version of Cairdeas with Laphroaig…

Read More about Review: Laphroaig Cairdeas Origin Edition 2012

Review: Nahmias et Fils Mahia Liqueur

Figs are one of my favorite unsung cocktail ingredients, so I was delighted to see that someone was finally producing a fig liqueur. Correction: Fig and aniseed liqueur. Hrmmmm. Mahia actually is a general term for anise liqueur in (Algerian) French, and this spirit (produced in New York) is inspired by that traditional liqueur —…

Read More about Review: Nahmias et Fils Mahia Liqueur

Drinkhacker Reads – 10.16.2012

Good news for grape lovers: The North Bay Business Journal’s Jeff Quackenbush is reporting that the harvest for the Sonoma and Napa region could potentially result in the biggest yield in three years, potentially as high as 15 to 20 percent higher than normal. [North Bay Business Journal] The Wall Street Journal crafts a profile…

Read More about Drinkhacker Reads – 10.16.2012

Review: Jack Daniel’s Unaged Tennessee Rye

How do you know when white whiskey has become a Big Thing? When Jack Daniel’s, the largest spirits brand in the world, gets into the game. By way of backstory, Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7 uses a fairly traditional Bourbon-style mashbill, 80% corn, the other 20% rye and malted barley. This is the way it…

Read More about Review: Jack Daniel’s Unaged Tennessee Rye

Review: Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial Champagne

What do we have here? The world’s first ever Champagne “created to be enjoyed over ice.” You read that right, and I’m still asking myself why someone would do such a thing to a drink as lovely as Champagne. Moet Ice Imperial is a blend of nonvintage Champagne, and it doesn’t take long to catch…

Read More about Review: Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial Champagne

Drinkhacker Reads – 10.15.2012

In what will (hopefully) be a daily feature each Monday through Thursday here on Drinkhacker, we will be traveling the far corners of the internet to bring you the latest news and information on new products and hot news happening in the world of drinking from around the globe. So without further ado: Mega conglomerate…

Read More about Drinkhacker Reads – 10.15.2012

Review: Ransom Spirits Whippersnapper Oregon Spirit Whiskey

Oregon-based Ransom Spirits makes Whippersnapper in a way that defies easy comparison. I’ll let the company do the heavy lifting with this official description. The first part is made from barley that is malted in the Pacific Northwest, and unmalted barley grown in the Willamette valley of Oregon. This barley is ground, mashed, fermented and…

Read More about Review: Ransom Spirits Whippersnapper Oregon Spirit Whiskey

Review: El Cartel Tequila

This new brand, the brainchild of Mike Hamod, was created to be “the Ciroc of tequila” as its goal — courtesy of celebrity sponsorship that includes Daddy Yankee, Jermaine Dupri, and Eddie Griffin. Made of 100% agave in the Highlands of Jalisco, it is initially available in two varieties, a silver expression and (wait for…

Read More about Review: El Cartel Tequila