Now you can have your rum and eat it too! Recipes courtesy chef Eddy Van Damme, in honor of July being National Ice Cream Month.
Flor de Caña Rum Soaked Raisin Ice Cream Sandwich
½ cup Flor de Caña 7 Year Grand Reserve rum
¾ cup raisins
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
¾ cup + 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoon Flor de Caña 7 Year Grand Reserve rum
1. In a saucepan heat first-listed Flor de Caña until hot but not boiling. Pour onto raisins and ensure raisins are well covered. Seal with plastic food wrap and allow raisins to absorb Flor de Caña overnight at room temperature. Toss the mixture occasionally to ensure that raisins absorb all Rum.
2. Bring milk, cream and sugar to a full boil and remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and second listed Flor de Caña and cover with plastic food wrap. Place in refrigerator overnight.
3. If using an ice cream machine that uses a bowl which needs to be frozen place in freezer and set freezer on lowest setting.
4. Following day: Drain raisins and add any non absorbed Rum to ice cream mixture. Place raisins in freezer.
5. Churn ice cream mixture, when ice cream becomes thick and is nearly done add frozen raisins. Place ice cream in freezer.
6. Sandwich ice cream between your favorite two cookies.
*For best results soak raisins and prepare ice cream a day ahead of churning.
Frangelico Ice Cream Sandwich
1 ¾ cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
¾ cup + 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
½ cup + 2 tablespoon Frangelico Hazelnut Liqueur
1. In saucepan whisk milk, cream, sugar and salt to a full boil and remove from heat. Place saucepan into bowl filled with ice to chill ice cream mixture.
2. Once cold add Frangelico and add a cup or more additional salt to ice bowl (salt in ice will make the ice cream mixture super cold and make churning more effective).
3. Churn ice cream according to ice cream machine manufacturer’s directions. Once churned, place ice cream in a very cold bowl and freeze.
4. Sandwich ice cream between your favorite two cookies.