Recent Laphroaig Live events have been such successes that Islay’s most visible distillery is repeating the experience. This year’s arrives on Thursday at 5pm Pacific/8pm Eastern, and will cover a range of Laphroaig products including the new Laphroaig QA, a travel retail whiskey that’s crafted through “an American style of maturation” (finished in new oak casks).
So pour yourself a dram of the peaty stuff and enjoy the show. Full details follow.
Laphroaig, the world’s most richly flavored Scotch whisky, will broadcast its 7th annual Laphroaig Live on Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 8:00PM Eastern Time from Brooklyn, New York. Whisky fans everywhere can visit www.laphroaig.com/live to see the most talked about live online whisky tasting of the year.
The 45-minute live stream, which reached nearly 2.5 million people across the globe last year, will feature a panel of four experts who will sample four whisky expressions and highlight the spirits’ strong ties with America. The experts will be stepping back in time to the Prohibition era and tracing its heritage to the booming whisky cocktail scene it helped create. This year, the panel will consist of Laphroaig® Master Distiller John Campbell, Bourbon Ambassador Adam Harris, renowned Mixologist and Founder of Ward III Michael J. Neff, and spirit enthusiast and GQ Web Editor Kevin Sintumuang. Also in attendance will be Simon Brooking, Master Ambassador for Laphroaig, to celebrate this one- of-a-kind tasting experience.
Viewers worldwide will have front row seats as the panel tastes and discusses the complex flavor profiles of:
- Laphroaig Quarter Cask – the brand’s fastest growing expression which is matured in barrels similar to those used in the early days of Laphroaig.
- Laphroaig QA – an expression crafted through the American style of maturation.
- Maker’s 46 – a classic American bourbon whiskey from the Laphroaig sister distillery; nearly all Laphroaig® is aged in ex-Maker’s Mark barrels.
- Laphroaig Cairdeas 2013 – the newest expression, bottled for Friends of Laphroaig and released earlier this summer, uses Port Wood for part of its maturation.
The show will be broadcast from an original Hudson River Barge, which at over 99 years old has seen cargo come and go into New York for almost a century. While the Hudson River Barge was taking its cargo into port, Ian Hunter, the last family owner of Laphroaig, was introducing the world to his whisky. Legend has it he even introduced it to the USA during Prohibition by convincing authorities of its “medicinal” purposes. Following in his footsteps, Laphroaig will bring a fantastic selection of its expressions direct from Islay to New York and explore how the North-Atlantic ties are still thriving today.
Members of Friends of Laphroaig, the whisky’s distinguished loyalty group which grants members a lifetime lease on a numbered, 1 square foot plot of land in Islay, are provided special access to discuss all things whisky and share tasting notes during the show. To join the conversation, submit questions or get the tasting’s cocktail recipes, LIKE us on Facebook.com/LaphroaigUSA, or follow/Tweet us @LaphroaigUSA on Twitter.
- Online Tasting With Laphroaig on Friday
- Review: Laphroaig Cairdeas Origin Edition 2012
- Review: Laphroaig 25 Years Old Scotch Whisky
- Review: Laphroaig QA Cask and Cairdeas Port Wood Edition 2013